1. Bill Gaines’ opening remark to me, each and every time I saw him: “My ambition in life is to weigh less than my refrigerator.”
2. Editor Carl Potts to me: “The problem with you is that you’re stubborn.”
Me: “Well, that’s the Potts calling the kettle black.”
3. Editor Larry Hama to me: “All the really creative people are crazy.”
Me: “I’m not crazy.”
4. Gil Kane to Louise Simonson: “Yes, my boy.”
5. Jack Abel to anyone who displeased him while in polite company: “Ingest excrement and expire.”
6. Stan Lee, jokingly: “I’m surrounded by assassins.” All right, maybe only half-jokingly.
7. Marvel Publisher Mike Hobson to me: “Sometimes, at the end of the day, the only satisfaction you have is knowing that you behaved properly.”
8. Red Sonja artist Frank Thorne, rationalizing regarding work for hire: “I know you can’t have the farmhands thinking they own the cow every time they pull a teat.”
9. Editor and writer Jo Duffy regarding letterer and part-time fashion model Denise Wohl: “She’s cosmetically aware.”
10. Jack Kirby to several creators, including me, at a San Diego Con: “Just keep going no matter what. You’re in the game. You’re in the game.”
Jim, My favorite comics' creators' quip occurred at New York Comicon 2007 when Blue Beetle writer Keith Giffen let loose with this gem during the DC panel:
Q: "Keith, what do readers think about the increase of diversity in DC's comic book characters?"
A: "Well, it don't make the white folk too happy!"
The room just exploded with laughter. I thought Dan Didio was going to wilt behind his podium. –MikeAnon
That quote by Mike Hobson is pure class. Love it.
Great, Jim! 🙂
please, more Gil Kane stories.
Sounds lie he was a real trip
Funny, very funny.
Now that you mention it, "Silent Night" would be the ideal title for that project. ^_^ I guess I should clarify that my joke wasn't intended as a diss toward Mr. Hama or Mr. Windsor-Smith. I'm a loyal fan of their work. In fact, the only Conan issues I own are credited to either Larry or Barry.
"Seven" has a "Dark Dominion" feel to it. Especially the villain.
So, kintounkal, what would be the title… "Silent Night"? 😉
I never knew Seven was published. That's exciting news. I haven't felt this surprised to know a comic exists since I learned Star Seed #9 was available a couple years after I bought issue 8.
I think Larry Hama & Barry Windsor-Smith need to collaborate together someday. Larry would write a story without words or sound effects just as he did for G.I. Joe #21 ("Silent Interlude") and Barry would contribute nothing but black pages just like the cover for Solar, Man of the Atom #10 (The Man Who Killed The World"). 😉
Louis Porter Jr.
Those are FANTASTIC!!!!
Thanks for all the quotes. What a game you've played in.
Denise Wohl* … letterer by day, model by night? What other interesting dual lives do comics creators have? Moon Knight's triple identity is becoming more plausible now …
*The one comic of yours that I most want to read is the one you did for her. Can't find SEVEN anywhere! Not even eBay!